Monday, March 10, 2014

Mystahhhhry 1: Chromaticity: THE FINISH!!

As I said on my previous post, I am sorry I didn't get my Mystahhhhry quilts finished yet. With all the sickness around here it just wasn't able to happen. They wont take me long to sew up as soon as I can get to them. 

But I do have it drawn up for you to see..are you ready?

The only thing I made one minor change from my original design. ALL of the little diamonds are one primary color and ALL of the little triangles are another primary color. Photo below (which was my original drawing before it all started) shows them kind of mixed up half and half.



I have included a black and white drawing of the ahhhhh. The entire purpose of this mystahhhhry was to show you how, while these blocks can stand alone in a sampler quilt, they also create wonderful secondary patterns when you place them together.

FINISHING:

Future mystahhhhries will show different finishing options. I DO NOT NOT NOT recommend a traditional quilting finish on this quilt. If you do, you will lose part of the pattern in the finish.  (as I said, I'll show you on a later Mystahhhhry when you should use that type of finish)

I am going to quote directly from paper pieces. com on how this quilt should be finished:

" If you would like your quilt to finish with “uneven” edges this is the method for 
you! If you are going to machine quilt, go ahead and remove all the papers from 
the edges, pressing the seam allowance as you remove them so they retain 
their shape. If you are going to hand quilt, leave the pieces in until you get to 
them. After the top is quilted, cut the batting about 1/4” inside the top edge, 
following the shape of the top. Cut the backing 1/2” larger than the top. Turn the 
backing under to match the shape of the top and slip stitch closed. This is a 
beautiful way to finish and maintain the hexagon shape top. "

By slip stitching we retain the fun shape of this quilt...and you don't even have to make binding :)

I hope you enjoyed your first Mystahhhry. Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thank you for joining along!!

3 comments:

  1. very nice!! sorry I missed out on this one... Great tip on the NO binding method, wonder if you could machine quilt that in the ditch but not extend over.....feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice.. A little above my skills but hope to be able to make them one day when I get brave enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm I like the idea of the no binding! It looks really good. Hugs to you all

    ReplyDelete