Thursday, September 10, 2015

Mystery FAQs and other curiosities.

I LOVE to read mystery stories. When looking through all the free books for my Kindle app, I am always drawn to the mysteries first.

I was thinking about this Mystahhhry along with Hillbilly and I was thinking how much like a real mystery it is. Right now, all you all see is the film poster.



 You see the star players (pieces and fabric) but you don't have a clue what the show is all about.
Just like a mystery story, our EPP Mystahhhry project will have events revealed at certain times. You won't know these times nor will you know what they will be about.

Our characters will work together to solve the case. At one point there will be a climax (The First Dance), but then the mystery will all of a sudden take on a twist and what you thought you had pictured in your mind...will totally change.

So keeping in mind that you cannot over think this, that this will just not make sense until we begin lemme answer some FAQs:

1) WE WILL BEGIN SEPTEMBER 25th. 

     There are still people awaiting their papers to arrive to me, plus we have only been spreading the word for about a week. Let's give everyone a chance to get involved. On September 25th I will give the first clue (which most of you have figured out. )
Before that time I will go over some very EPP basics here on the blog.

2) FABRIC REQUIREMENTS.

On the Shindig Mystahhhry page (easily found at the top of the blog) is a list of several blog posts explaining all of the different fabrics we will use. This is different than other quilt mysteries because I had to be very specific due to the fussy cut. Plus I was just trying to explain the best use of fabric to get the most of the design. Here is a summary of those fabrics (all in one place for those asking for it). Please keep in mind that this is for the FULL quilt pattern only and the folks doing "The First Dance" and stopping won't need as much. If you need to know more about these fabric requirements, again they are further explained on each page. Each has their very own blog post listed above on the Mystahhhry page.

          FUSSY CUT LARGE --- you need enough to cut 12 large diamonds (or 6 plus 6). You can use any large scale print you would like in place of the fussy cut fabric.

         FUSSY CUT SMALL --- (you can use any small scale print if you do not want to fussy cut). You can divide this into two prints if you like. It can be either 48 of one fussy cut print and 126 of another, or a total of 174 pieces of the same print. These are tiny 1.5" diamonds or triangles.
YOU WILL NOT KNOW HOW MANY DIAMONDS OR TRIANGLES YOU WILL USE OF THIS UNTIL LATER!!!!!!

          SETTING TRIANGLES--- you will need 2/3 yd of your darkest fabric that is not the same color as the background as diamonds. they can be in the same color family though. For instance it can be dark blue if the background piece of your fussy cut areas is medium blue.

          ELEMENT OF POP--- you will need 1/2 yd. YOU WILL NOT KNOW HOW MANY DIAMONDS OR TRIANGLES YOU WILL USE OF THIS UNTIL LATER!!!!!!

          MIDDLE OF THE ROAD SOLIDS--- you need 3/4 yd of two different colors. YOU WILL NOT KNOW HOW MANY DIAMONDS OR TRIANGLES THAT YOU WILL USE OF THESE COLORS UNTIL LATER!!!!

          OTHER FABRIC--there will be other fabric requirements later, if I reveal them now it would give away part of the mystery. If you think you want to use any of the above for border fabric, then you will need to purchase extra.

3) Why did you put the pdf files on Facebook and not on the blog? 
Because I cannot put them on the blog! You don't need these pdf files if you draw the pieces yourself, or if you are buying the papers from me. If you don't use Facebook, that is ok. Just email me at HillbillyHandiworks(at)gmail(dot)com and I will send you the pdf files.

4) How do you baste? How do you sew? Do we leave a seam allowance? 

All of these are technique questions. I will start showing technique blog posts between now and Sept 25th. (sooner rather than later but no more posts today after this one.) My YouTube channel shows several of the basics, and I also recommend Sue Daley on YouTube for basic EPP instructions. Since there are so many EPP videos, I will use the blog to explain technique with photo detail.

5) How long will this take? 
I don't know. I am sorry. I am going to kind of go with the flow and see how the group is going to gage when I release new clues. It will take much longer than other mystery quilts because this is hand sewing.

6) Will there be other mysteries?
Yes!! I expect this to be an on-going thing. There will be small projects and large projects. Holiday projects and color projects. They wont always be using hexagons.  I will vary the difficulty. After they are completed, the blog posts and YouTube will always be here, and the papers will be for sale on my website. The pdf files only last as long as the mystery though, then I will take them away.







5 comments:

  1. Great post. Love the idea that you will all be working out a "who dunnit"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited for all the planned mysteries so people can see the secondary patterns a bit better.

      Delete
  2. I received my papers today. Ready to go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I just now finished printing out labels for 15 more, so we are going to have a nice group :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete