Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Days off means taking a moment to day dream

As most of you know, I just took two days off from the world. I grabbed up my kids..well not the middle child because he's never around..and we enjoyed some much needed time together. Amy, Stephen and I all went trick or treating Saturday night, then Sunday I took Stephen to the Fun a Farm so he could enjoy one last day of playing in the corn. Then we met Amy for a dinner at Golden Corral and then headed over to a hotel with a small indoor water park. The hotel...was AWFUL. It was a Ramada Inn, but it was old and dirty. The water park was FREEZING. They permanently closed the hot tub. I couldn't even tolerate the cold pool, so  leaving Amy andStephen  there I went back to my room to take a hot bath. The water in the tub came out yellow. The next morning Stephen and I went for our free hot breakfast, and the dining room was freezing too! No thanks, never again. We came home Monday morning without even taking another dip in the pool. 

Monday afternoon I got down to business sewing for the mystery. I know I'm leading this thing, but you all have to know I fly by the seat of my pants. I have no idea what's going to happen one day to the next. I didn't know I'd be working 7 days a week when I started the mystery. So just know I'm thankful for your patience with me. 

Here is as far as I got yesterday before I went to bed. Since all the little rows are sewn together, I know the rest of the parts will be quick to sew. I'm not super pleased with my directional fabric prints. They might prove interesting...if we can call it that. I love the colors though so no changing! I not sure if I'll get my other first dance one even started, since it's time for that to almost end. On a good note, I have three days off a week from now on so that equals sewing time! 



Now, one of the things I did this weekend was start thinking on business goals. Where do I want to go, what do I want to happen? 
First I started with the basics:
1)  I KNOW that someday I'll need to be back home full time. I'll need my business to support us when Jerry gets sick again. 

2) I know that I need to pay off as many bills as I can before then, so I need to work as long as I can. 

3) I still want my shop. The plans for Hillbilly Quilt Shop have changed a bit, adding a few things I think would help support it in this town off the beaten path. 

This weekend Jerry and I spent some time outside looking at our yard, and some empty lots available next to us. I also looked at a place that's available for rent. Weighing all options and our needs we decided to build right here on our property..but it's not ours yet and won't be until his disability gets approved. Our lease states we can't place any buildings on the property, but that's not stopping us from drawing it up, getting details on prices and preparing. 

In making plans, I'm really thinking out what I want to sell in the shop. You are going to laugh but I think it's going to have the name Hillbilly Quilt and Candy Shop. There are no other shops in this town. No gas stations. I'm going to bring in old time candy. It will be a hit with tourists and children alike! 
I'm also going to start making hand made items. Not a ton, but a few. I want a kitchen area where I sell things like apple butter, jams and jellies. I want to add in towels , both plain and embellished, hot pads made from Ahhhhs, and rag rugs to the candy and kitchen retail area. 

For the quilt shop, it will still specialize in paper piecing and hand embroidery. Only I'd really like to add in machine embroidered items as well. ( long term goal). I am considering making the building two floors with a classroom and fabric warehouse up top, I need to see if a ramp is feasible.  

Of course this is all future goals. Here in the now, I'm still working on my book plans. Forever wishing for that book aren't I? Do you know hand sewing takes forever? Well I get three days a week off a week now, ..can we say sewing time?! I'm hoping to plan the next mystery soon, only I'll pre blog and pre video for it before I even start it. I'm learning  folks! 

When we moved,  the flow of my things  just was not working. So this weekend I took everything out of my closet and off my walls. Besides working for Ozark Fabric today, I'll be working on this mess. 

Jerry is helping me get new better shelving so I can try to survive sharing my bedroom with clothes, fabric, quilt shop supplies, etc. I have TONS of patterns not placed on the website, because I couldn't easily get to them. I want to add new notions and floss but I need organized first. So today that is my goal. 

I'm going into November with much excitement. The new job opportunity to catch up bills and put away money for my goals just thrills me. ( although I don't like food service so I'm not sure the job itself thrills me) . I'm excited to have the time finally to get books underway and sewing finishes. 
I'm loving that my web site is gaining momentum and that my Ozark friends continue to support me so much. 

It's exciting to see even my husband getting behind me and supporting the new Quilt shop here at home. In just a minute he's taking me to the Amish outbuilding shop to see what my goal is going to cost me. That way I can go to work at the new job tomorrow with my goal in my head. 

I'm may run things differently than any quilter, designer, writer, instructor, shop owner than you've ever met, but I'm just a Hillbilly and I like it that way. 

P.s please comment and tell me what you think about the Hillbilly Quilt and Candy Shop complete with old fashioned candy, butters, jams and jellies, tea towels, hot pads and rag rugs. I seriously cannot wait. 





19 comments:

  1. I think that sounds awesome! Now, how do I convince hubby to let me come visit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait til it's built then we will make it a business expense.
      I'm pretty sure I saw you are LDS I think, maybe? I'm not but there's lots of history here for you, use that as an excuse :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds wonderful to me. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for your book to finally be available, even if you have to self-publish. Please let us know when we can buy advance copies (and if you need testers!) PS: Picked up my order today, thank you! I will try both types of needles and see which I like better. Terri in BC
    terri-fisher (at) shaw (dot) ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I 100% understand your desire! I just sold my place on 3 acres. My dream for it was classes and retreat facilities. (I got older sooner than I expected. ) On that note, I'm going to interject something for you to consider. I love candy, jams, jelly all things sweet. I also know that physically I play a huge price when I indulge my love. There is a movement in place that is growing astronomically. It is for healthy foods. So I'm going to suggest that you not limit yourself to sweets. The Amish can lots of fruits and vegetables that are healthy, so I hope you incorporate those in your hand made items. I know as much as I love supporting local, can't indulge in sweets and much of the population is in the same position. Just something to consider when you're putting your business plan together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have no sugar added products. We don't do sugar or even any flour products here ourselves!

      Delete
  5. It all sounds wonderful Tonya! I think that DR Knight brought up a real good idea about selling healthy things. I love your dream, as I have dreamed about something like it as well. I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds wonderful. I hope it works out and soon. I know the san that works Clinton County and she is a great person and good to work with when it comes time to make the food items. I might even have some items to put into the shop to help keep it stocked. (All this fabric needs used somewhere.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's dekalb county and I think I'm buying them in but then today I was thinking I'd love to sell my own. Wouldn't need the smell of apple butter cooking be awesome?!

      Yes please help!

      Delete
  7. When we lived in Utah there was a great shop that sold fabric, patterns, notions and candy/fudge and hot drinks like coffee/cocoa. They found out really quickly that even though with signs every where to please not take food or drinks into the fabric area they still did and bolts of fabric kept getting ruined. Or if a kid didn't like a piece of candy they had tried instead of finding a garbage can they would stick it in between the layers of fabric! Makes you wonder what they did at home. The owners had to stop the candy/drink side because it was not worth the loss of expensive fabric. So that would be my only thought on a candy/quilt store.
    Can't wait to see what you come up with.
    Vicki R
    stardesertnight@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully my quilt shop is usually odd...very little fabric. More notions and patterns! But we will see.

      Delete
  8. Shame I am on the other side of the world or I would certainly visit your shop. Think some valid points have been raised but one of my favourite shops here is called the patchwork tea house. They sell fabrics etc but provide simple lunches, some cakes and really yummy scones with jam and cream. Keeps the other half content while I browse the fabric. Good luck with it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my thoughts!
      I Even want a table out front on the porch with checkers, newspapers, etc. Keep them busy.

      Delete
  9. Since a quilt shop is already like a candy store for me, to have actual candy would be insanely wonderful! Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tonya;
    Just want to reiterate a few points from previous comments. Food and retail; there will be loss. I worked in a craft shop (mom and pop) for 15 years, we did not sell food yet there was still food related loss. Age; I am amazed at how fast I got old and not so efficient. Do not know how old you are but too many irons get hard to juggle. Sweets; you mention you don't use flour or sugar, good but if you are using artificial sweetener, this isn't a whole lot better. I say this because I love candy and all things sweet but need to keep them as a very teeny tiny part of my life and as it has been stated I am not alone. I guess some of what I am saying is this; last few weeks you were unable to do justice to your mystery quilt following, you were exhausted. Please make sure your dreams won't be more than you can handle along with the other areas of your life. From the snippets I have read you have a few more challenges than most. Reality tends to bite us at our busiest. Sometimes we have to assess what it is that we really want to do, start 'small', and grow into it. That's my two cents. Good luck and let us know how we can help make your dreams come true. New topics: For clue six is that ONLY for shindig or is it for first dance as well? ( Sorry if more info was on Facebook, I was closed out of my sons account and haven't had him sign me back in, yet)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I for one love the old time candy, hadn't seen it in some time until I had a few things to mail off and low behold there it all was at a small store for USPS & UPS Shipping etc. I fill up now when ever I'm near there. But do be carefully with the little ones throwing or spitting things out as well as some adults. And do take care of yourself, don't overdo it and end up sick too.
    Jeri

    ReplyDelete
  12. I for one love the old time candy, hadn't seen it in some time until I had a few things to mail off and low behold there it all was at a small store for USPS & UPS Shipping etc. I fill up now when ever I'm near there. But do be carefully with the little ones throwing or spitting things out as well as some adults. And do take care of yourself, don't overdo it and end up sick too.
    Jeri

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hiya Tonya!!! I haven't spoken with you in a while, not on Facebook much anymore. Glad to hear that ya'll are doing better, especially Jerry. Your dreams sound wonderful, and I hope that they all come true for you. I'm one of those who has to watch my sugar intake (diabetic), but I do indulge, just have to watch the amounts, and the old-fashion candy sounds wonderful. Don't know if you've looked into suppliers yet, but CandyWarehouse.com is an awesome place, lol. I know, I was looking. Bad on me, hehe. I'm doing the Mystahhhhry, but just haven't posted anything. Thanks for doing it. Take care of yourself and the rest of the family. Blessed be, hugs!!! Pam

    ReplyDelete