Friday, July 29, 2016

To Journey or not to Journey?

I am getting so excited for this mystery to begin that I cannot sleep!
It's 4 am on 7/26 and I think I'll just prewrite us some blog posts.

It has been such a long process of restructuring my business that it's taken a toll on my creativity, and just like each of you, I get a bit irritable when I cannot take the time to use my creative talents. It's no wonder that I cannot sleep because I know that this journey is about to begin, and now that my website is all fixed up, I can get back down to the business of sewing.

This Epp Mystery Journey is not for everyone. Please read carefully through this blog post to help you decide if this mystery is something you would like to do, or if perhaps you would prefer to pass up the pattern until later. Once the pattern is finished as a mystery, it will always be available on the website as a Pattern Pack.


Let's take a mini peek at what this journey is all about.
I asked everyone in the EPP Mystery along with Hillbilly Facebook Group
what they would enjoy creating next. 

Hands down the vote was for a table runner of "normal size" pieces. (That would be opposed to the super sized pieces that I like to have fun with from time to time.)

You asked for it. You got it.
This will be a table runner. I cannot give exact sizes because mine isn't sewn together yet.
You see, I am unique. EVERYONE can agree on that one.
No one designs quite like the Hillbilly.
Most designers sit there and draw it all out proportioned to size and figure it all up.
But I kind of design according to the shape and the fabric that is in front of me for my inspiration. And what comes out in the end comes out in the end.

While my sample quilt is almost done, it's not quite there yet because I want to blog some portions before stitching it together, so (*insert shoulder shrug) I am not sure how big it is, exactly.
BUT... I can tell you that I've laid it all out on my table and it is a nice runner size. Ha! I am a lot of help, aren't I?

I can also tell you that it will be composed of  the following:
1.5" Triangles
1.5" Hexagons
1.5" Diamonds
3" Diamonds

I will tell you how many of each later once we begin the mystery. Always before, I placed a pdf of the pieces into a file in the Facebook group, but this time around I placed them on my website. Not really to charge you (because they are only 10 cents each), but this allows those that do not have Facebook to easily download them. These are already loaded and ready on my website RIGHT HERE (along with some other sizes, plus I'll keep adding more sizes over time).

Ok, so now that you kind of have a general idea of what we are doing, are you ready to put on your spacesuit and begin the journey with us? 


How about you take this little checklist?

This mystery journey IS for you if:

1) You love English Paper Piecing. This is perfect for beginners all the way through advanced.
I will actually be video taping our entire journey and teaching you along the way.
DID YOU HEAR ME? My YouTube videos are coming back for this journey!!!

2) You enjoy a mystery.

3) You enjoy fussy cutting.

4) You enjoy my teaching style... laid back for sure. This won't be fast paced. And I teach each quilt as if we are learning for the first time. 

This mystery is NOT FOR YOU if: 

1) You are impatient. This isn't a hurry fast and get to the next step kind of mystery. English paper piecing is HAND PIECING. There will be no "let's hurry up to the next step." So if you can't handle a slow paced mystery, then it's best you wait this one out until it is finished and you can see the pattern in it's entirety. 

2) You only like scrap quilts. Some designs are meant for a scrappy look, and some are not. I am not saying that you cannot use what you have in your stash. Not at all. EPP is great because you can often stash bust small pieces. But this design will not look good if you go for a total scrappy look. Yardage will be posted later, and it's small yardage, but non scrappy specific chosen fabric will be needed. 

3) You are impatient. Did I say that already? Well, this time I am talking about a different kind of impatience. Not only will you need to be patient about the slow pace but you will also need to be patient about the fabric requirements. THIS IS A BIGGIE. I will be video taping the entire process, and until I show you the fussy cut sections, you will not be able to choose your fabric. Plain and simple, you can't because you need to see how the fabric will be used before you can purchase it. 
After I show you the fussy cut sections, there will be a pause before we begin our sewing so that you can go out and buy what you need. 
Due to the nature of both the pattern and video taping, the fabric requirements will be shown via video (and blog) back to back in small video segments. Please do not email me and ask for fabric requirements before I release them. It just can't happen. If you could see the pattern, then you would know why. Patience my dear Watson. 

4) This mystery is not for you if you plan to machine piece it. English Paper piecing is not designed for machine piecing. I am sure some of you machine piecers will take that as a challenge, but if I've learned anything with the previous mysteries... the machine piecers don't come back for another attempt. If you want to try to do them by machine, I of course cannot stop you. But please do not beg for us to hurry through our hand piecing because we hand piecers enjoy a slower pace. The world is too fast. Slow down. Enjoy. 



Each of us are unique. Even if you purchase a kit (yes there will be fabric kits available!), you will be choosing some of your own fabrics as well and your quilt will not be like anyone else's. I cannot wait to share my journey with you. I hope that you will carefully consider the above before you choose to begin our journey. I've learned so much by releasing these mysteries and I think the one thing I've learned most of all is to make it MINE. This is my pattern, creating, teaching. I don't mean to be selfish sounding. I just mean that what I've learned is that it works best if we do things MY way.
My name isn't Bonnie, or Katja or Sherlock.
I am Hillbilly. Which makes me smile.
This Hillbilly is going on a journey to outerspace.
I'll be here waiting for you!


1 comment:

  1. Good luck with this mystery. I'm sure it will be wonderful

    ReplyDelete