Thursday, January 5, 2017

New Year, New Job, New Project, New Direction, New Post

Everyone is always posting all about New when it comes to January. I really am not into the "new" stuff for "New Years". No new words or new goals. In fact, we were so busy New Years weekend at work I just wanted it to be over with to be down right honest.

With the New Year, I did begin a new job at work. I moved from being a grocery store cashier to being behind the customer service counter. Every store handles things differently, but this was a big move. Besides handling all lotto, lottery, tobacco sales, renting the rug doctor, doing money orders and western union, dealing with customer complaints and handling cashier issues; I also have to learn a lot of paperwork concerning over all store sales. I don't make the deposits or count the tills (yet.. that is another promotion I hope to eventually get and they seem to think I will before too long), I do have to double check all deposits, count safe money, deal with numbers in the computer and so on. I like the new job. Although this week I am exhausted because I am used to going to bed at 1:30 in the morning from closing the store, and this week I am up at 5 to open the store. Except tomorrow which I close the store. Then Sunday I open the store. Then Monday I close the store again. Yes. Totally exhausting. My co workers said get used to always being tired and never wanting to do anything. That's encouraging, lol! I am already that way!

Anyway, that was my New Year new thing for my job. Next it is time to tack my New Year new thing for my business.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING.

I know everyone loves mysteries and they are chomping at the bit for the next one. You all have been chomping at the bit for the tree skirt for MONTHS. And I've been sewing on it. I actually love it. It is different than my other mysteries. We will be handling it differently and the design is more classic than I normally go about designing, but it's still very nice.

Last month I completely basically shut down everything business related until I could figure out what direction to go. And I took time off. I did sewing but I walked away from selling or socializing business wise. And now I am ready but I think I am going to disappoint some of you.

I really think before I finish my tree skirt, I want to go back and finish some other patterns. I really REALLY want to get some pattern packs released with photos of finished quilts (you know like a real quilt pattern designer does), and if I just keep sewing mysteries to the point of showing the design, then begin the next, then I just don't think I'll ever make head way!

I took my business down the the very very bottom and am rebuilding it from the bottom up and I feel like these pattern packs/ quilt patterns is the foundation that my business needs to be built on.

So, while I was planning to release the info concerning the next mystery here very soon, I think I am not going to. And I KNOW it will frustrate some of you. But, trust me, it will be worth waiting for. And your hillbilly friend can start at the bottom and begin rebuilding. Properly. I no longer deal with selling fabric, or notions or floss. I am just focusing on design. And that is how it should be. I am very happy with that decision. VERY HAPPY.

The only thing that makes me sad is knowing you will be frustrated that I am not releasing the mystery yet. But take heart. It's worth waiting for and I've already got it half sewn up. I am just tucking it away for a while until I get some of these others finished. And I'll share progress right here. I think you will like seeing the direction I am taking with it.

Hillbilly Quilt Shop is rebuilding from the ground up. I am going to go start on that foundation right now. (Hmmm... which pattern pack to begin with? Oh I know just the one: Stay tuned! )

4 comments:

  1. Good for you Tonya! Look forward to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with it all. I will have to stay tuned. Got back into EPP just recently after a big break. Do love it. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wise decision to me. Take care of yourself, and your family. You may have a few followers drop off, but many of us will stay, and new ones will come along. No one can do everything, and stretching yourself too thin is never a good thing! Relax. Regroup. Renew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever considered having someone help you with the stitching on your projects? Then, you could concentrate more on designing ...your first love.

    ReplyDelete